Friday, May 22, 2009

To Boldly Go...

**Originally written on Wednesday, May 20th**

So I'm currently sitting in the Delta Terminal of Logan Airport in Boston, MA - a lovely terminal that features a beautiful view of the city, electrical outlets throughout the space, and optional wifi. I know, not exactly rare this day and age, but feels a few steps up compared to the Delta Terminal at JFK, which is where my journey began this morning.

But as you may have guessed, I have not reached my final destination yet, for I am on my way to the Cannes Film Festival in France. Shocked as I am? I don't blame you. The surprise trip came up a few weeks ago when Fredric King, owner of Fountainhead Films, approached me with the idea of going to garner support and funding for a feature we are producing together entitled, "Small Talker." At first, it seemed an unlikely trip, but then, he was able to line up some work for us out there as well, meaning we'll spend a few days at the Festival, and then a few days shooting at some of the loveliest wineries France has to offer.

I wonder if my excitement and nervousness come across in my words, for I am both of those and then some. Why? Well, this is actually my first trip out of North America. I've never flown out of the confines of America (having only driven to Toronto once for Wrestlemania XVII), and going now, twenty eight years of my life behind me, is a bit daunting, but quite possibly one of the most exciting things I will ever do.

I was fortunate enough to go to the Slamdance Film Festival a few years ago in support of Fountainhead Film's ego doc, "B.I.K.E." As both an Associate Producer and Additional Editor of the film, I was happy to support it in the midst of the chilly Utah winter. But Cannes presents a whole new ball game. The stakes are higher, the stage is larger, and damn, it's France!

I really have no idea what to expect, but I do know that I will go without any expectations upon myself or my journey. With an open mind, I boldly go where I have never gone before. Guess you have to go to France before you can go to space, right?

Stay tuned for more updates.

PS - Special thanks to those whose love and support has been paramount as I've been prepping for this trip over the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment